Saturday, September 16, 2006

Continuing the legacy- OBHR Orientation/Rafting Trip

Last year I was so impressed by the OBHR orientation rafting trip that I wanted to be involved in helping it continue this year. Our major leader, Kristen DeTienne, completed her 3 year term and I knew that the transition to the new leader would be a difficult one so I volunteered to lead and coordinate the first-ever student-coordinated orientation rafting trip. While in Cincinnati, I set up a Yahoo group site, communicated with incoming students, alumni, and recruiters to get as many people to come on the trip. We have an impressive group of first-years this year and I was glad to get the chance to know many of them.

This year we had alumni/recruiters from General Electric, General Mills, the LDS Church, and VitalSmarts. Each of the alumni shared presentations on their company and a component of their work in the HR or consulting field. Dave and Charlee Hanna had a number of activities they led as well- teambuilding and other activities to help teach us principles of organizational behavior. I have to admit that it was a little different from last year- things weren't as new for us of course and we were there to serve and help the incoming students. It was awesome getting to know the recruiters and 1st years and having the chance to hang out with my fellow 2nd years after our internships.

We've got an impressive (if not somewhat crazy) group of 1st years in the program this year. We had a couple of people outside the OBHR track that joined us for the trip and it was fun getting them involved as well. It didn't take long before we had people on the river raiding other boats and trying to push others into the freezing cold water. I have fond memories of throwing Kyle Poll overboard after he tackled one of my boatmates and still laugh when I remember John David rushing over the boat at us to try to take me and another boatmate out at one time and ending up in the water himself instead. We of the tumbleweed clan reigned supreme were able to recover our prize long enough to tear it in pieces and each take a small piece as a momento before riding down Tumbleweed rapid. We had some pretty sweet boat flips- even Dave Hanna flipped his boat for the first time ever! We rode down the same stretch of river (13 miles I think) each day but the ride was very different because the rain had changed the flow.

The last night of our trip we spent an evening together in a fireside setting. I opened, sharing my background and the reasons that I wanted to help make the trip happen this year. I shared what insights I had and hoped that the incoming students would catch the 'vision' of the legacy they had become a part of in the MBA program, especially the OBHR major. Most of the 30 students took the opportunity to share their testimony of the gospel, their reasons for being in the program, or more about themselves and their dreams for the future. It was a very inspiring time and a great way to end the trip. It was an honor to be involved this year and I'm excited about continuing to build the relationships we forged on the river and to continuing the legacy of the MBA program and the OBHR major.

And now for the pictures!











No comments: